Energy Safe Victoria has raised Safety Alerts on four open flued gas log fire space heaters. In short, the Safety Alert includes:
- Regency i31 (manufactured from 2010) supplied by Fireplace Products Australia Pty Ltd
- Regency F38 and FG38 supplied by Fireplace Products Australia Pty Ltd – branded and supplied by Masport prior to 2006 (excludes LP model)
- Nectre 2000 (manufactured from 2007) supplied by Glen Dimplex Australia Pty Ltd, or a
- Real Flame Pyrotech (manufactured from 2012) also supplied by Glen Dimplex Australia Pty Ltd
Therefore, people with these gas log fires in their homes need to contact the supplier and get them checked by a qualified gasfitter immediately. Check out Rapid Cold Air Conditioning and their service fees here.
Moreover, laboratory tests show that under certain circumstances these heaters produce too much carbon monoxide. If you’re unsure of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning read more here.
In conclusion, if your heater is affected it will need modification to prevent the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning.
What do I do if I have a gas log fire?
If you have the Regency gas log fire model I31 or F38/FG38 (previously branded and supplied by Masport prior to 2006), contact the supplier Fireplace Products Australia (FPA) at:
- 1800 860 660.
The F38/FG38 excludes LP models.
Therefore, if you have one a Real Flame Pyrotech (manufactured from 2012) or a Nectre 2000 (manufactured from 2007) gas log fire, contact the supplier Glen Dimplex Australia at:
- 1300 014 389.
If you have one of these heaters do not use it until it can be tested by a qualified gasfitter. Please use other sources if heating is required. However,DO NOT bring outdoor gas appliances inside.
What happens next?
After that, if it is required, the supplier will organise a qualified gasfitter to carry out a safety check on your heater and will meet the costs of the modification. However, there may be some costs to you if poor maintenance or other issues unrelated to the modification are present.
If the heater is spilling dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide or other exhaust gasses – it may have to be decommissioned until it can be repaired or replaced.
Follow the links below for more information on gas heaters and open flued systems.