Carbon Monoxide is a Silent Killer!

Carbon Monoxide Is A Silent Killer

Do you use a gas heater?

Gas heaters can be deadly if not maintained properly.
First of all, if gas heaters are faulty or poorly maintained they can leak carbon monoxide (CO). CO is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas resulting from the incomplete combustion of hydrocarbon fuels.
Second, carbon monoxide is a silent killer and spillage can be lethal. It can cause death or chronic illness.
Finally, carbon monoxide poisoning can happen in any home or building with gas heating appliances, including newer ones.
Thus, dirty, old and unserviced heaters operating in a sealed environment will increase the risk of carbon monoxide spillage. Hence, smaller, poorly ventilated dwellings are at an even greater risk.

What you need to know

So, as winter approaches, it is crucial to understand the importance of servicing your gas appliances, the risks around carbon monoxide and the difference between open flue and room sealed heaters.
Find more information and tips on Heating your home with gas.

How CO poisoning devastated one Victorian family

In May 2010, Vanessa and Scott Robinson lost their two boys Chase and Tyler aged 8 and 10, as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning in their Mooroopna home.
Now, each year in May, ‘Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week’ launched by the Foundation and supported by ESV’s Cold Feet campaign aims to raise awareness of the deadly affects of carbon monoxide poisoning.
ESV continues to work with Vanessa Robinson and The Chase and Tyler Foundation to raise awareness of the risk of poisoning from faulty gas heaters.

Vanessa Robinson and ESV

Vanessa recently sat with ESV to discuss the dangers around carbon monoxide, what you can do to avoid the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and working with Energy Safe Victoria. Watch the full video below.

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial
Facebook
Facebook
Google+
Google+
LinkedIn
Instagram